The five yearly Census provides critical data to inform Australia's important decisions. Every Census, the ABS makes a recommendation to the Australian Government on the topics that should be included in the Census.
The ABS is reviewing what information is most beneficial to collect in the 2021 Census and is considering the valuable submissions provided by data users, organisations and members of the community in the recent public consultation process.
The ABS will be releasing the Census of Population and Housing: Topic Directions 2021 (cat.no.2007.0.55.001) on 14 November 2018 to provide information on:
- the consultation process and the key topic areas people addressed in their submissions;
- what additional information the ABS is considering to collect;
- what information might not be collected in the next Census; and
- next steps to inform our recommendation to Government.
Online briefing: You can register to participate in the online briefing being held at 13:00 to 14:30 (AEDT) on 21 November 2018.
The final topics to be included in the 2021 Census of Population and Housing is a decision for the Australian Government. The ABS will make recommendations to Government on the topics to be included in the 2021 Census in mid-2019.
The ABS will inform the recommendations through discussions with key stakeholders and data users to refine the data needs; an assessment of costs and operational implications; further development and testing of the questions; and assessment of statistical quality.
Topics collect on the Census
Topics have been organised into the following broad themes and detailed information is available:
- Sex and gender
- Households and families
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- Income and work
- Unpaid work and care
- Education and training
- Disability and carers
- Cultural diversity
- Other topics.
What does the review involve?
The 2007.0 Census of Population and Housing: Consultation on Topics, 2021 provides important details on:
- what information is collected in the Census;
- what stakeholders told us prior to public consultation; and
- what was the criteria for deciding what to collect; and
- what was the process for making a submission.
Receive information on our Census plans by subscribing to our email update.
Get the latest updates from the ABS by following us on Twitter and Facebook at @ABSstats and LinkedIn at Australian Bureau of Statistics.