The DataLab is the data analysis solution for high-end users who want to undertake interactive (real time) complex analysis of microdata. The files remain in the secure ABS environment. Within the DataLab, users can view and analyse unit record information using up to date analytical software with no code restrictions. All unit record data remains in the DataLab environment. All analytical outputs are checked by the ABS before being provided to the researcher.
Researchers from federal and state government agencies may apply for virtual or on-site access to detailed microdata within the DataLab, and university researchers may apply for on-site access at one of the ABS offices. Researchers from other Australian and international organisations are not able to access detailed microdata at this stage of the DataLab trial. These restrictions will be updated as the trial proceeds.
AVAILABLE MICRODATA IN THE DATALAB
There are two types of microdata files available within the DataLab environment:
Detailed microdata files have been designed specifically for use within the DataLab environment. Detailed microdata have direct identifiers (such as names and addresses) removed and have had further appropriate confidentiality applied within the context of the other security features of the DataLab. Detailed microdata files can be used by experienced researchers within the DataLab to undertake sophisticated and in-depth analyses.
Expanded CURFs are also available in the DataLab. The DataLab provides a more responsive and interactive environment in which to analyse microdata than that offered by the Remote Access Data Laboratory (RADL).
There are a wide range of topics including health, education, labour force, migrants, crime, business, disabilities, ageing and carers. Some datasets provide access to ABS survey results while other datasets contain administrative data collected by other organisations. Available microdata contains information on which microdata products are available as well as links to supporting materials such as data item lists. See How to Apply to apply for access.
REQUIREMENTS OF DATALAB ACCESS
Access to the DataLab is restricted to authorised users. To become an authorised user, researchers must meet these requirements:
DataLab conditions of access: Users must comply with the DataLab conditions of access and other requirements contained in the Responsible Use of Microdata user guide.
Undertakings: Prior to using the DataLab users must agree to and sign an Undertaking and a Declaration of Compliance. The head of the user's organisation must also sign a Responsible Officer Undertaking. These documents are available from the Downloads tab of the Responsible Use of Microdata user guide.
Experience in statistical analytical languages: DataLab users must be experienced in one of the analytical languages available within the DataLab. If clients do not have knowledge of these analytical languages, they are advised to seek guidance and expertise within their organisation prior to using the microdata. The DataLab environment contains up to date versions of SAS, SPSS, Stata and R analytical languages. Other software packages may be evaluated by the ABS for inclusion if there is sufficient user demand.
Statistical experience: Users must have sufficient knowledge, experience and statistical capability necessary for handling information, as well as a commitment to protecting and maintaining the confidentiality of data. This may be through statistical qualifications or research experience.
Statistical purpose: Access to microdata in the DataLab must be for statistical purposes. Access for regulatory or compliance purposes is not permitted. Research projects using detailed microdata must also provide public value.
Terms and conditions: When registering for access to the DataLab in the Registration Centre, users must agree to the Terms and conditions.
- Researchers register in Registration Centre. See How to Apply for details.
- After applying for detailed microdata or expanded CURF for their research, DataLab users contact the ABS to provide completed documentation, discuss their project and to arrange a date for their DataLab session and training where applicable.
- Users can also prepare their code, programs or notes prior to a DataLab session. These need to be provided to the ABS in advance of the session to allow sufficient time for ABS to vet and load the code or notes to the DataLab.
- Researchers attend their DataLab session on-site at one of the ABS offices. Alternatively, if the researcher is participating in the virtual access trial for DataLab, the ABS will contact the researcher to provide access credentials.
- Researchers save any output which they would like to access outside of the DataLab after their session. The output is manually cleared by an ABS officer for release, which is usually done within two working days.